Professionalism – Active Listening
A true professional appreciates the importance of active listening when someone else is speaking to them. Just think about how often are you not fully attentive when someone else is speaking to you.
How often are you thinking about what you are going to say next instead of listening to what the person is saying to you?
How often do you try to interrupt someone because you want to say what you want to say instead of listening to what they are saying?
True professionals actively listen when someone speaks to them. They give others the courtesy of their undivided attention and thereby show respect and gain a much clearer understanding of what the other person is trying to communicate.
So actively listen when someone is speaking to you
• STOP what you are doing
• Put your work or other distractions aside
• Lean forward towards the person who is speaking to you
• Look them in the eye
• Then LISTEN, really listen
• Listen to what they are saying
• Listen to what they are thinking, and
• Listen to what they are feeling
• And then CONFIRM your understanding by repeating what you heard – and, if necessary, ask questions (but don’t interrupt them while they are speaking).